Are you excited by the idea of working behind the scenes to keep an environmental nonprofit running smoothly? Do you want to be a critical participant in a smart, collaborative team? The Administrative Associate primarily provides day-to-day bookkeeping for our 501c4 organization. The Washington Conservation Action Administrative Associate is a valued member of a five-person Administrative Team with opportunities to work both collaboratively and independently on their own responsibilities.
Washington Conservation Action (WCA) is looking for an Administrative Associate with 1-2 years of experience who understands non-profit accounting principles. This position reports to the VP of Administration and works closely with the Washington Conservation Action Ed Fund (WCAEF) Administrative Associate, the HR and Administrative Manager, and the Development team. This position is hybrid remote, with an in-office presence (at least 40% of the time in the Seattle office) being required to complete some duties like check deposits and generating thank you letters to donors.
About our organization
Washington Conservation Action is a statewide environmental advocacy organization that advances environmental policies and pushes for actions that equitably address climate pollution, restore Puget Sound and clean water, sustain our state’s forests, and protect our democracy. For Washington to remain a national leader on environmental issues, we need environmental champions in elected office and to hold our leaders accountable. To keep our environment protected, healthy, and vibrant, we are committed to supporting Native candidates, candidates of color, and environmental leaders seeking election.
In January, Washington Conservation Voters and Washington Environmental Council unified under a shared brand—Washington Conservation Action. This evolution as organizations builds on our 50 years of work and history of bringing people together to solve Washington’s most critical environmental issues. We develop, advocate, and defend policies that ensure environmental progress and justice by centering and amplifying the voices of the most impacted communities. Washington Conservation Action is a 501(c4) organization. Washington Conservation Action Education Fund is our 501(c3) partner organization. Together, we advance a shared a vision for a Washington state where nature and people live in balance for the flourishing of all.
We offer competitive salaries, good benefits, and the opportunity to make a difference. We are committed to a representative, socially just, and welcoming work environment – people of color, people with varying abilities, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are especially encouraged to apply. We continue to advance the application of a racial equity lens to our work and are led by a CEO who is a citizen of the Confederated Tribe of Warm Springs, Oregon.
The WCA Administrative Associate is responsible for the day-to-day bookkeeping functions for WCA 501(c)(4) entity, doing things such as bill payment and donation data entry to ensure our books are accurate. They are also responsible for gift data entry and generating thank you letters to donors as part of their routine responsibilities.
Administrative Responsibilities (75%)
- Maintain books in an ethical, legal, and transparent manner, according to general accounting practices. Specifically, the Admin Associate is responsible for day-to-day bookkeeping for both the 501c4 and affiliated PAC: this includes A/P, A/R, and providing reports to fundraising staff. Resolve bookkeeping anomalies in keeping with GAAP standards.
- Facilitate communication with office building management, including submitting work orders, communicating building events to staff, and keeping in accordance with all building mandates.
- Manage office supplies, including ordering new supplies as needed or as requested, and maintaining relationships with vendors that service the office.
- Track bank balances and upcoming expenses. Keep the VP of Administration updated on account balances. Interact with bank personnel for tasks like deposits, setting up new check signers and other related tasks.
- Work with the WCA Education Fund (WCAEF) bookkeeper to track expenses that are shared between WCA and WCAEF.
- Ensure that expense reconciliation between WCA and WCAE EF happen monthly.
- Support development staff with financial reporting for grants, major gifts, events, and other fundraising purposes.
- Work with development staff to reconcile donation records between QuickBooks and Salesforce.
- Assist with annual audits for both PAC and 501c4.
- Assist VP of Administration in preparing financial reports for CEO and Board of Directors.
- Submit WCA tax payments to state agencies like the Department of Revenue or Labor & Industries.
- Communicate administrative changes to staff around policies or directives from the VPs or CEO
- Participate in racial equity work group(s)
Fund Development Responsibilities (25%)
- Process incoming donations and enter in Salesforce and QuickBooks and code donation data.
- Generate weekly acknowledgement data, monitor acknowledgment letter content, and send donor acknowledgements.
- Update donor contact information in Salesforce as requested.
- Call or email donors with declined credit card or missing information and update in our database.
- Act as a bridge between the Admin Team and Development Team in tracking income.
- Attend fundraising events and provide support to the Development Team as necessary.
- Sort through mail and packages delivered to the office.
- Ability to manage several projects at one time and see them to completion.
- Ability to quickly re-prioritize according to emergent demands.
- Attention to detail and highly organized. Must be great at following up on tasks.
- Communicative, collaborative, proactive and self-directed; must be willing to step up when necessary to share the Admin Team workload.
- Friendly and sociable as this position will be the first impression visitors have of the organization.
- Ability to use discretion with confidential matters and be professional at all times.
- Commitment to applying a racial equity and environmental justice lens to our work.
- QuickBooks experience and/or nonprofit bookkeeping experience preferred.
- Experience working with nonprofit fundraising staff.
- Experience interacting with volunteers or interns.
- Familiarity with Salesforce database.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite.
- Enthusiasm for learning and using online tools such as, Zoom, SignUpGenius, Slack, Salesforce, Rippling, and Box.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full time, non-exempt position with a salary range of $50K-$53K depending on experience. We also offer a generous benefits package including 100% employer paid medical and dental insurance, 401k plan and organizational match of up to 3% of your annual salary, a flexible spending account, three weeks of paid vacation and a separate pool of sick leave, twelve paid holidays per year, four wellness days, an unlimited ORCA transit pass, professional development and if you work for seven consecutive years you are eligible for a two-month paid sabbatical. We welcome new and diverse people to a great team who together shape environmental protection in Washington.
This position is hybrid with a minimum of 40% of time required in the Seattle office. A hybrid remote agreement is required. An unlimited ORCA pass is provided to make commuting easier.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
This is a full-time position and is expected to work a standard work week of 40 hours. This job requires frequent sitting. Must be able to conduct business in English, though fluency in other languages is welcomed. For remote work, employees must maintain a workspace with an internet connection where they can reliably perform work during scheduled work hours. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with different abilities to perform functions essential to the duties of the position. Washington Conservation Action is a unionized employer represented by Communications Workers of America Local 7800. This is a represented position.
The organization follows all requirements of local health authorities. We are currently working in a hybrid remote work model with staff working from home in addition to in-office time for collaboration and celebration. We maintain strict safety protocols while in our office. All staff who come to the office must be fully immunized against COVID-19.
Please submit a cover letter and a resume here. No phone calls or mailed applications please. This position is open until filled.
Washington Conservation Action (WCA) is an equal opportunity employer committed to dismantling structural racism and creating a welcoming work environment. WCA does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, gender, religion, marital status, veteran’s status, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation. People of color, people with disabilities, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are especially encouraged to apply.
Your donation ensures a sustainable future.